Saturday, February 2, 2008

Girls, don't believe the hype!

While driving to Oklahoma City last night, I listened to the cd that I burned on Itunes. That particular playlist is named "Thoughts". As I sang my way up 35North, I began to think about a lot of things that have been on my mind lately. Some specific, some general. All about life. And just as I passed the exit for Turner Falls (blog-worthy another time), I recalled those days in elementary school... the days of making 'friendship bracelets', birthdays at Chuck E. Cheese's, tea and slumber parties, tether ball and New Edition... Those were days when, if a young lady wanted to know what her future had in store for her, there was one thing she could do, one way to 'see' her way into her life, one way to know who she would marry, how many kids (if any) she would (or would not) have, what kind of vehicle she would drive and what type of home she would live in... It only required a few things:
  • A pen and paper to draw a box (first and foremost)
  • The names of your crushes (listed to the left)
  • The numbers 1, 0, 3 and 2 (listed to the right)
  • 4 types of vehicles (listed at the bottom)

AND on top of the box...

  • The namesake to this method of fortune telling... M.A.S.H. (which, if you are male and/or lived under a rock, was code for Mansion, Apartment, Shack and House)

When ready, I would draw the whirlpool thing, stop (based on instinct) and begin to count the lines drawn.

BAM!!!! My life was pre-determined... already laid out... based on the outcome of M.A.S.H.!!!! Or, so I naively thought. And then... I reached high school... then college... then real life. And M.A.S.H., I've learned... is a complete waste of time.

I wish someone would have told me that M.A.S.H. was about as 'real' as a purple cow.

If only it were that easy to figure things out. I never married that boy in Miss Strahan's class and have no children (although I had the names picked out)... I did, however, get the car and the apartment. So, the glass is half-full, right?

Well, I need to go. It's late. I'm hungry. And, I need to find a pen, paper and.................. play some Tic Tac Toe!

:-)

No comments: