Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Perhaps someday, they will find a cure. (Part 1)

Everyone has a weakness. But, because I'm a Taurus, by definition, I am doomed to desire all things decadent...

But nothing... absolutely nothing sends my pulse into a frenzy like the man who was, is and may always be known as my 'kryptonite'. Remember, Superman? Not even Lois Lane had the affect that "kryptonite" had on him. Be it good or bad. A friend warned me about this type of man. Disarming. Charming. Handsome. Confident. Charismatic. And, most of all...dangerous.

The first time we met, it took every ounce of strength I had to remain conscious.

My mother, a former campaign director for the Democratic party, once told me that Bill Clinton, in the midst of over 1000 campaign supporters, made her feel as though she was the only person in the ballroom. That night, my "kryptonite" had the same affect on me... in a city of 600, 000.

One would think that since I do not see him more than a few times a year, that it would be almost impossible to remember much about him. Out of sight, out of mind, right? Well, it's not so easy. Just because you can't see the wind doesn't mean you don't FEEL it, that it still can't knock you on your rear. Fortunately, for Superman, if he wasn't within arm's reach of kryptonite, he could still melt iron with his gaze. He could still crush the speed of light. Unfortunately for me, I'm not Superman.

Although I know in advance when I will see him, it makes no difference in my physical response. My breath gets shallow. My face gets warm. My knees grow weak. The hairs on my arms begin to raise. And I feel as though I could have been raised by cheetahs... because I am ready to pounce. Have you ever seen those warewolf movies? You know the part where the guy begins to 'change'? That's how I feel. But, I don't want to rip him to shreds... just his clothes. That's the effect of my "kryptonite".

I recently saw him and as usual, I THOUGHT I was prepared to be the picture of decorum. Unfazed. Glacial. On the outside, I may have appeared to be (to outsiders). On the inside, I was a H.A.M. (hot @$$ mess)!


No comments: