Monday, February 18, 2008

Central Market is Life. The Rest is Just Details!

Central Market. If you’ve never been fortunate enough to visit, you are highly lacking. Some refer to it as a grocery store. It’s MUCH more than that. How many ‘grocery stores’ offer wine (by the glass) as you enter? I know that shopping can be stressful for me, so a glass of vino may help me decide between the organic brown rice or the risotto.

As one travels thru CM, as the ‘in crowd’ calls it (not really), you will notice a Paciugo ice cream shop, extensive salad/soup/sandwich bars, prepared meals (from sushi to enchiladas for one.. or two), an incredible array of meats/cheeses, the most beautiful produce outside of the islands and the occasional item you would also find at a Kroger Signature. Arrive on the right day, at the right time… and there are samples! Lots of samples! Oh, and the cooking classes! So much! I’m getting excited just thinking about it!

Oh but wait!!!! There’s more!

One can not forget… the bakery!

The first time I ever visited CM, it was on a whim. I had no idea that it could be even better than Simon David (Tom Thumb’s version of luxury grocery shopping). Oh, but it was. I didn’t even purchase anything, because I was on sensory overload. My next visit, I purchased fruit. The next visit, I was a bit more brave. I was with Miriam and picked up a bottle of Muscato and a few pastries.

As the months pass, I find myself visiting CM at least a couple of times per month.

My most recent visit was Saturday evening. After a long day of stress, followed by retail therapy, I was craving CM. I had already eaten dinner, but needed something sweet. I didn’t know what I wanted, but I knew it would be at CM. So, I headed south on Greenville. As I made the left turn onto Lover’s Lane, I could hear the Hallelujah Chorus (maybe it was the radio).

I found myself in the bakery. There were petits fours (my favorite dessert as a child). They were absolutely precious. But, not what I wanted. My eye was drawn to two creations: the strawberry shortcake and the chocolate mousse cake slice. I normally buy the petite chocolate mousse cake (yes, a single serving). I love the combination of my favorite flavor, with the cake, mixed with the mousse. YUM! But… strawberry shortcake, while not new to me, wasn’t something I typically am drawn to. I enjoy strawberries (although I have been known to have allergic reactions to some), am always a fan of whipped cream and once again, there’s cake. One is a bit more dangerous (to my hips and thighs), but is comforting. Soothing. The other is lighter, less dangerous. Not as decadent.

I stood there for 10 minutes, trying to decide.

I picked BOTH.

I wasn’t necessarily planning on eating both. That would be messy. But, I wanted to know that I could have either. That both would be available... at 3am.

So, there I sat, after a hot shower and some reading… on my living room floor (which is normally reserved for Fruity Pebbles). I kept trying to decide… Chocolate or Strawberry? Dangerous or Semi-Safe?

I grabbed the Strawberry Shortcake… but, took a bite of the Chocolate Mousse Cake.


I didn’t want to be greedy. But, I couldn't resist the temptation.

Perhaps I would have been better off with Fruity Pebbles…but they don’t sell those at Central Market!



No comments: